Sunday, June 23, 2024

Protesters padlock necks together on top of truck in CBD

Must read

Two pro-Palestine protesters parked a truck in the middle of a busy street in the Perth CBD and padlocked their necks together, unleashing traffic mayhem as authorities negotiate to get them down.

The activists parked the rented Budget truck at the front of Perth train station on Wellington Street about 12pm on Tuesday.

The pair placed a bike lock around their neck before refusing to come down from the roof of the truck.

Dozens of police officers, negotiators and firefighters have swarmed the busy street, with supporters of the protest also lining the street.

Around two hours later a bolt cutter was used to separate the activists on top of the van.

It is understood the WA Police tactical response group made their way onto the truck before they were dragged down.

Witnesses described seeing the pair “going limp” before they were dragged into a nearby cherry picker which took them to the ground.

Camera IconWA Police advised members of the public to avoid the area.

Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian

It took multiple police officers to detain the two protesters before they were dragged into separate police cars — which later left the scene with sirens.

Main Roads WA urged drivers to seek a different route as Wellington Street, between King Street and Barrack Street after it was closed. It was reopened around 2.30pm.

More than 150 people gathered at the scene to watch the chaos unfold, with several people overheard verbally abusing the police and chanting in support of the two people.

Dozens of police stood among the crowd amid fears the situation would escalate on Tuesday.

A round of applause also erupted from some members of the crowd when the pair were detained.

It is understood the WA Police tactical response group made their way onto the truck before they were dragged down.
Camera IconIt is understood the WA Police tactical response group made their way onto the truck before they were dragged down. Credit: Kelsey Reid/The West Australian

Negotiators from the US, Egypt, and Qatar have been trying to mediate a ceasefire in the region between Israel and Hamas following the October 7 attacks.

Israel says 1200 people were killed and more than 250 taken hostage by Palestinian militants Hamas in the assault.

It is believed more than 100 hostages are still being held captive in Gaza.

Gaza health authorities say more than 36,000 Palestinians have been killed during Israel’s retaliatory attacks on the region.

The United Nations Security Council voted in support of a US-drafted resolution supporting a ceasefire between the two powers earlier this week.

Gaza health authorities say more than 36,000 Palestinians have been killed during Israel’s retaliatory attacks on the region.
Camera IconGaza health authorities say more than 36,000 Palestinians have been killed during Israel’s retaliatory attacks on the region. Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian

Despite Hamas welcoming the resolution, it remains unclear whether leaders from the two powers accept the plan.

The deal backed by the council has called for Hamas to agree to a three-phase hostage deal ahead of a ceasefire.

After 14 council members voted for the resolution, US President Joe Biden told his followers on X: “The UN Security Council just adopted our resolution calling on Hamas to accept the deal to establish a ceasefire with the release of hostages.”

“Hamas says it wants a ceasefire. This deal is an opportunity to prove they mean it.”

It took multiple police officers to detain the two protesters before they were dragged into separate police cars — which later left the scene with sirens.
Camera IconIt took multiple police officers to detain the two protesters before they were dragged into separate police cars — which later left the scene with sirens. Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian

Latest article