Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Peter Overton ‘concerned about his future’ following job axing rumours

Must read

Peter Overton is reportedly feeling the pressure amid rumours of a Nine newsroom shakeup following the drama unfolding at rival network Channel Seven.

The 9News Sydney anchor, 58, is said to be ‘concerned about his future’ as the network prepares to make some staffing changes after Melbourne‘s Tom Steinfort and Alicia Loxley were promoted to co-host the city’s 6pm bulletin.

Nine News Gold Coast also has two co-hosts, Eva Milic and Paul Taylor, while Overton has always hosted 9News Sydney solo. 

‘Pete has been solo at that desk for 15 years and like a good wine, at 58 he just seems to get better with age – but big bosses always have one eye on what their competitors are doing,’ an insider told Woman’s Day.

‘For now, management will be doing everything to assure Pete that he’s safe – but he’s right to be feeling worried.’ 

Peter Overton is reportedly feeling the pressure amid rumours of a Nine newsroom shakeup following the drama unfolding at rival network Channel Seven

‘There is the argument that if they win the ratings year after year with just one newsreader, then why change it, but Pete would be worried all the same,’ the source continued.

‘But knowing Pete, if this is how the industry is shifting, then he will adapt – if he wants to remain current, he’ll have to adjust and go with the flow.’

The 9News Sydney anchor, 58, is ‘feeling worried’ and ‘concerned about his future’ as shakeups and staffing changes occur among his peers

In March, fans called for the veteran anchorman to co-present the nightly news program after performing the role solo for 15-years.

‘Such a pity Sydney’s still doing the one anchor at the Desk, I wish they [would] do two,’ penned a fan on industry blog Media Spy. 

It comes after Channel Seven‘s staffing bloodbath took a twist earlier this month, days after reports claimed Mark Ferguson will be ‘shafted’ as the weeknight newsreader.

It also follows the successful move within his own company as Melbourne’s Tom Steinfort (right) and Alicia Loxley (left) co-host the city’s 6pm bulletin
Nine News Gold Coast also features two presenters, Eva Milic and Paul Taylor (both pictured

News Corp previously reported Seven bosses had ‘warmed’ to the idea of replacing Ferguson, 58, with the network’s weekend team, Michael Usher and Angela Cox.

However, a Seven insider has since told Daily Mail Australia this is not the case.

Instead, the source was informed Seven bosses are set to axe Usher, leaving Cox to present the Friday and Saturday night bulletins solo.

Executives hope to ‘save money and boost the gender balance’ with Cox as a one-woman show on weekends.

It comes after Channel Seven’s staffing bloodbath took a twist earlier this month, days after reports claimed Mark Ferguson (pictured) will be ‘shafted’ as the weeknight newsreader
News Corp previously reported Seven bosses had ‘warmed’ to the idea of replacing Ferguson with the network’s weekend team, Michael Usher (pictured) and Angela Cox
A Seven insider has since told Daily Mail Australia this is not the case

The insider also believes that, unlike prior reports, Ferguson remains safe in his role.

‘Mark [Ferguson] is the ultimate professional and loved in the newsroom,’ the Seven source said.

Click here to resize this module

‘It would be ratings suicide to replace Mark now, and it would be brave for a new news boss – who has no television experience – to replace the 6pm reader as his first move,’ they added.

Seven denied the claims when approached by Daily Mail Australia. 

The rumoured nightly news shake-up comes as the bloodbath continues at Channel Seven in the wake of the Bruce Lehrmann sex-and-drugs allegations that hit the network’s flagship current affairs show Spotlight.

Seven confirmed last month that then-news director Craig McPherson – partner to Dancing with the Stars host Sonia Kruger – had suddenly left his position as network director of news and public affairs after nine years in the job.

In the month of April alone, the network lost McPherson, managing director James Warburton, commercial director Bruce McWilliam, and Spotlight executive producer Mark Llewellyn.

A source has been reliably informed Seven bosses are set to axe Usher, leaving Cox to present the Friday and Saturday night bulletins solo. Executives hope to ‘save money and boost the gender balance’ with Cox as a one-woman show on weekends

Latest article